The 2016 election has made it clear that America is awakening and clamoring for a solution – a solution that increases liberty via a structural change to Washington DC. Reinforcing that desire is the increasing Convention of States support from national leaders, notably including former Sen. Tom Coburn, Texas Gov. Greg Abbott, Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker, Sen. Marco Rubio, former Govs. Mike Huckabee & Bobby Jindal, HUD Secretary nominee Ben Carson, Talk show hosts Mark Levin, Sean Hannity & Rush Limbaugh, and American economist, turned social theorist, Thomas Sowell.
Convention of States is the lawful and orderly solution provided in the Constitution to effect the desired solution. To call an amendments convention, we must pass Convention of States resolutions in 34 states, and we have already done so in eight (i.e., Alabama, Alaska, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Louisiana, Oklahoma, & Tennessee).
Please do not be coerced into standing idly by because someone has sown fear into you with misinformation that has its roots in left wing nonsense. When future generations look to you, asking what you did to help our ailing country, you can proudly admit that you are part of the solution.
We’ve made incredible progress both nationally (click here for a recap) and here in South Carolina. During the 121st General Assembly which took place in 2015 & 2016. We moved the “ball” way down the field. If you will permit me to continue to use the football metaphor….we started on our own 1 yard line and moved the ball across midfield in both the House and the Senate chambers. In the Senate our resolution passed the Judiciary subcommittee with a 3-2 vote and the full Judiciary committee with a 13-8 vote. Every single Republican present on that committee voted for this resolution. Unfortunately many Democrats in the SC Senate are opposing this effort to rein in the federal government and a “minority report” was placed on this bill when it was sent to the Senate floor. A “minority report” permits one person to thwart the efforts of the majority….and prevented debate and vote on our resolution and our bills died.
In 2017, Representative Bill Taylor and Senator Larry Grooms are once again leading the way in South Carolina by introducing the Convention of States resolution in both the South Carolina House of Representatives and the South Carolina Senate.
The House resolution is H.3233 and the Senate version is S.86. We will be working very hard right out of the gate to convince the members of the South Carolina General Assembly that this will be the most important vote of their lives and that they need to pass this resolution in South Carolina so that we can be added to the growing list of states that have had enough of an out of control federal government!
Let’s make South Carolina the ninth state to pass the Convention of States application!
South Carolina State Director
Convention of States Project
p.s. Please take a moment to thank these South Carolina leaders who are sponsoring or co-sponsoring the resolutions at the statehouse in Columbia:
- <Sponsor> Bill Taylor, District 86, (803) 212-6923, https://twitter.com/TaylorSCHouse, BillTaylor@schouse.gov, https://www.facebook.com/RepBillTaylor
- Alan Clemmons, District 107, (803) 734-3113, https://twitter.com/RepAlanClemmons, AlanClemmons@schouse.gov, https://www.facebook.com/RepresentativeAlanClemmons
- Joseph Daning, District 92, (803) 734-2951, JoeDaning@schouse.gov, https://www.facebook.com/joe.daning
- William G. "Bill" Herbkersman, District 118, (803) 734-3063, BillHerbkersman@schouse.gov, https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bill-Herbkersman/1586161684994990
- William M. "Bill" Hixon, District 83, (803) 212-6898, BillHixon@schouse.gov, https://www.facebook.com/bill.hixon.311
- Cally R. "Cal" Forrest, District 39, Cell: (803) 349-6741, CalForrest@schouse.gov, https://www.facebook.com/cally.forrest
- Jeffrey E. "Jeff" Johnson, District 58, (803) 212-6946, JeffJohnson@schouse.gov, https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.johnson.54922169
- Russell W. Fry, District 106, (803) 212-6781, https://twitter.com/RussellWFry, RussellFry@schouse.gov, https://www.facebook.com/FryForHouse
- G. Murrell Smith, Jr., District 67, (803) 734-3042, MurrellSmith@schouse.gov, https://www.facebook.com/pages/G-Murrell-Smith-Jr/814481475294893
- Gregory D. "Greg" Duckworth, District 104, Cell: (843) 902-8050, https://twitter.com/GDuckworthSC, GregDuckworth@schouse.gov, https://www.facebook.com/GDuckworthSC
- Linda "Lin" Bennett, District 114, (803) 212-6948, LinBennett@schouse.gov, https://www.facebook.com/lin.bennett
- Bart T. Blackwell, District 81, (803) 212-6884, BartBlackwell@schouse.gov, https://www.facebook.com/bart.blackwell.35
- Jason Elliott, District 22, (803) 212-6877, https://twitter.com/jelliottsc, JasonElliott@schouse.gov, https://www.facebook.com/votejasonelliott
- Garry R. Smith, District 27, (803) 734-3141, https://twitter.com/GarryRSmith, GarrySmith@schouse.gov, https://www.facebook.com/pages/Garry-R-Smith/1468529086740982
- Brandon Michael Newton, District 45, (803) 320-9615, BrandonNewton@schouse.gov, https://www.facebook.com/brandon.newton.90
- Todd K. Atwater, District 87, (803) 212-6924, https://twitter.com/toddatwater, ToddAtwater@schouse.gov, https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1083968407
- Wm. Weston J. Newton, District 120, (803) 212-6810, https://twitter.com/westonnewton120, WestonNewton@schouse.gov, https://www.facebook.com/weston.newton.1
- David R. Hiott, District 4, (803) 734-3022, DavidHiott@schouse.gov
- Eric M. Bedingfield, District 28, (803) 212-6812, https://twitter.com/EBedingfield, EricBedingfield@schouse.gov, https://www.facebook.com/ebedingfield
- Richard "Rick" Martin, District 40, Cell: (803) 924-2934, RickMartin@schouse.gov, https://www.facebook.com/RickMartinSC
- Samuel Rivers, Jr., District 15, (803) 212-6890, https://twitter.com/SamuelRivers, SamuelRivers@schouse.gov, https://www.facebook.com/samuelriversjr
- F. Michael ‘Mike Sottile, District 112, (803) 212-6880, MikeSottile@schouse.gov, https://www.facebook.com/mikesottile, https://twitter.com/mikesottile
- William E. "Bill" Crosby, District 117, (803) 212-6879, BillCrosby@schouse.gov, https://www.facebook.com/crosbyhouse117
- Peter M. McCoy, Jr., District 115, (803) 212-6872, PeterMcCoy@schouse.gov, https://www.facebook.com/PeterMcCoyforSC, https://twitter.com/petermccoyforsc
- Shannon S. Erickson, District 124, (803) 734-3261, ShannonErickson@schouse.gov, https://www.facebook.com/repshannonerickson, https://twitter.com/ShannonErickson
- Joshua A. Putnam, District 10, (803) 212-6931, JoshuaPutnam@schouse.gov, https://www.facebook.com/joshua.putnam.3, https://twitter.com/RepJoshuaPutnam
- William R. "Bill" Whitmire, District 1, (803) 734-3068, BillWhitmire@schouse.gov
- William E. "Bill" Sandifer, III, District 2, (803) 734-3015, HLCIComm@schouse.gov, https://www.facebook.com/billsandifer, https://twitter.com/billsandifer
- McLain R. “Mac” Toole, District 88, (803) 734-2973, MacToole@schouse.gov, https://www.facebook.com/mclain.toole
- Michael A. Pitts, District 14, (803) 734-3114, MikePitts@schouse.gov, https://www.facebook.com/mikepittssouthcarolina, https://twitter.com/RepMikePitts
- Mark N. Willis, District 16, (803) 212-6882, MarkWillis@schouse.gov, https://www.facebook.com/mark.n.willis, https://twitter.com/markwillissc
- <Sponsor> Lawrence K. "Larry" Grooms, District 37, (803) 212-6400, https://twitter.com/larrygrooms, STransComm@scsenate.gov, https://www.facebook.com/LarryGrooms
- Daniel B. "Danny" Verdin, III, District 9, (803) 212-6230, SAgriComm@scsenate.gov, https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010731842727
- Rex F. Rice, District 2, Cell: (864) 884-0408, RexRice@scsenate.gov, https://www.facebook.com/RexRiceSC, https://twitter.com/RexRiceSC
- Tom Young, Jr., District 24, (803) 212-6000, TomYoung@scsenate.gov, https://www.facebook.com/tomyoungsc, https://twitter.com/tomyoungsc
- Greg Hembree, District 28, (803) 212-6016, GregHembree@scsenate.gov, https://www.facebook.com/greghembreeforsenate, https://twitter.com/GregHembree
- Sen. Ross Turner, District 8, (803) 212-6148, RossTurner@scsenate.gov, https://www.facebook.com/RossTurnerSC, https://twitter.com/SenRossTurner
- Sen. Ronnie W. Cromer, District 18, (803) 212-6240, SBIComm@scsenate.gov, https://www.facebook.com/ronnie.cromer1, https://twitter.com/RonnieCromer
- Sen. Stephen L. Goldfinch, District 34, (843) 357-9301, StephenGoldfinch@scsenate.gov, https://www.facebook.com/stephen.goldfinch.9, https://twitter.com/ScSenGoldfinch
- Sen. Katrina Frye Shealy, District 23, (803) 212-6008, KatrinaShealy@scsenate.gov, https://www.facebook.com/KatrinaShealy, https://twitter.com/KatrinaShealy
- Sen. George E. "Chip" Campsen, III, District 43, (803) 212-6340, SFGFComm@scsenate.gov, https://www.facebook.com/chip.campsen, https://twitter.com/SenatorCampsen
- Sen. A. Shane Massey, District 25, (803) 212-6330, ShaneMassey@scsenate.gov, https://www.facebook.com/shanemassey.sc, https://twitter.com/shanemassey
- Sen. Paul G. Campbell, Jr., District 44, (803) 212-6410, PaulCampbell@scsenate.gov, https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1593226646, https://twitter.com/SenPaulCampbell